March 31, 2009

the supreme court :: william h. rehnquist

Title: The Supreme Court
Author: William H. Rehnquist
Publisher: Vintage, 2002
Read: March 2009; NYC
Format: Kindle

The Supreme Court is a well-written, engaging overview of the Supreme Court as told by the conservative, but affable, former judge. Anecdotes from Justice Rehnquist's experiences both on The Bench and as a clerk enliven what would otherwise be a history lesson on significant supreme court cases. While known for his conservatism, Rehnquist manages to keep his accounts fairly, well, fair (duh). He does remain true to his conservative interpretations, but provides a pretty round view on any controversies that pop up.

It takes a strong voice to keep me interested in non-fiction and Justice Rehnquist certainly possesses one. I didn't lose any sleep from reading and I even took some breaks (something I rarely do), but I did always go back. My interest stayed consistently piqued and I learned quite a bit, though mostly about things I should probably have known already anyway. While I did not exactly find it riveting, I think it successfully - and gracefully - delivered on its promise and accomplished what I imagine its ultimate goal was: to enlighten and entertain civilians (non-lawyers) with a mild curiosity about the judicial branch.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment