November 04, 2009

Jenny & the Jaws of Life :: Jincy Willett

Title: Jenny the Jaws of Life
Author: Jincy Willett
Read: November 2009; NYC
Format: trade paperback

For years and years, my stance has been firm. I'm not a fan of the short story. Brevity, in my opinion, ends up costing the plot and characters too much. And then, really, what's the point?

Though, reading and loving Elizabeth Strout's Olive Kitteridge got me thinking. Sure, those stories - in total - read like a novel, but they're stories nonetheless! Impressed with what these authors are doing with the format these days, I'm making a point to read more - even if it's against my instincts. This effort, plus a couple of full-throated endorsements, brought Jenny & the Jaws of Life to me.

The 13 stories that make up this collection are just perfect. Some are better than others, of course, but both individually and all together they left me in want of absolutely nothing. The characters and their worlds are richly drawn. Willett's writing glides between despair, horror, nonsense and joy - all with elegance and gorgeous wit.

One of my favorites of the set is
"Melinda Falling". It was after reading this story that I realized that this book was really special. Willett paces the the story's joy and sadness at a beautiful tempo. At just 15 pages, you get a full sense of Melinda, her husband and the humor and loneliness of their world. Just lovely. Really.

The second title story, "The Jaws of Life," is equally brilliant. Like the collection as a whole, the story balances opposing emotions and challenges moral expectations. It also showcases a frenetic energy similar to Roth's Portnoy's Complaint.


I don't want to give away much more of the stories, because this is just one of those books I really insist everyone read. It was exactly what I needed to read at during a very difficult time in my life. And I'm certain that no matter what time you are in in your life, dear internet, you'll benefit from reading it too.

Beautifully written, poignant, sad, hilarious.
5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment