December 27, 2010

A Wind in the Door :: Madeleine L'Engle

Title: A Wind in the Door
Author: Madeleine L'Engle
Read: NYC, MA
Format: Trade paperback

Last year I reread A Wrinkle in Time and liked it just fine, but I wasn't in a huge rush to continue with the series. Over a year later, I picked up A Wind in the Door.

At the beginning of this novel, we find the precocious prodigy Charles Wallace is sick and still unusual. His sister and a gang of adventurers attempt to get to the bottom of his illness by succeeding in three trials. Also, they battle evil itself in Charles' body. What?!

Overall, I found this second installment of the "Time Quintet" unimpressive. Because I was already invested in the characters, I was kind of interested in the events. However, I ended up annoyed with how unnecessarily complicated the plot was. I mean, I was able to follow it: it's a children's book after all. I just found the whole thing anticlimactic. Yes, it was a sort-of interesting and different premise. Yet, was it worthwhile? Does it set up future books? Does it develop the world of our characters? Do I care? On all counts: not really.

I think I'm done with this series for now. I like the Murry children, but on the whole I think theirs might be a good, but not great, tale.

Fine for what it is, but the last Murry adventure for me.
3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment